If you are new to the world of online gambling and do not understand very well how everything works, some of the terms such as welcome bonus, free spins, wagering conditions, and so on probably confuse you or raise several questions in your head. To clear all doubts and help you understand what free spins are, how you can claim them and what are some of the conditions for claiming them, we have put together a detailed guide through free spin bonuses that you can encounter in different online casinos.
What are free spins?
To start with the basics, we are going to touch on what free spins are. It is a type of bonus that applies exclusively to slot machines, and as the name suggests, it allows you to play a certain number of spins on slot machines for free without investing your own money. In essence, free spins are like game credits. They cannot be monetized directly, but the money earned through playing with them is entirely yours. They usually come as a part of a welcome bonus that will most likely consist of a boost of a certain percentage of your first deposit and a number of free spins. The amount of free spins that you get varies from casino to casino and you can expect anywhere from 15 or 20 to a few hundred free spins depending on the casino.
Casinos that specialize in slots and pride themselves in having the most diverse, innovative, and exciting offer of slot machines will usually give you with a higher number of free spins compared to casinos that are more focused on table games or sports betting.
Free spins can also come as a part of special promotions when introducing a new slot machine or daily, weekly or monthly prizes from the casino.
How do these free spins work?
One free spin refers to one spin of the reel on the slot machine. The number of free spins will determine how many times you can spin before you have to deposit money to continue playing. This type of bonus is available exclusively in online and mobile casinos and does not exist in physical facilities. As you are probably still wondering what is a free spins bonus? , well they present a great way for new players to get a feel of the game and see what games suit them best before making a financial commitment.
It’s important to keep in mind that free spins usually come with a shelf life of anywhere between a week and a month before they expire and are no longer available so make sure you use them in time.
Different types of free spins
As we mentioned earlier there are a few different types of bonuses that include free spins. The most common one is the welcome bonus that you’ve gotten to know earlier.
Some other types of bonuses that could provide you with free spins are:
- No deposit bonuses — If it’s your first time visiting an online casino or you’re simply cautious and want to test the waters before you make a deposit you will be happy to know that some casinos offer no deposit bonuses to players who sign up for an online casino. Granted these bonuses aren’t quite as generous as welcome bonuses, but they are a great opportunity to test the casino and get some practice for free.
- Promotions — As we’ve mentioned earlier, free spins also come as part of various promotions. It could be due to a new game being launched, a collaboration with a game developer, or a part of the casino’s incentive for new and existing players. Whatever the reason, you should never turn down these free spins since all the winnings go straight to your bankroll
- Loyalty schemes and VIP programs — This is more of an option for players who already like to stick with a certain casino of their choice and have been playing there for a while. As a returning player, you will be able to climb up the casino’s loyalty scheme, earning special prizes along the way. Also, check the requirements for members of the VIP club since there are great benefits for long-time members.
Requirements and Restrictions
Even though the spins truly are free and certainly represent an excellent opportunity for players, it would be wrong not to mention several conditions and restrictions that come with their use.
- Free spins might only be available for a few of the selected slots, or even one certain slot in the online casino. They rarely apply to the whole catalog of games.
- Each spin is worth a certain amount of money.
- Your winning earner from playing with said free spins might be trapped in the account, meaning that depending on the casino’s policy, you might not be able to withdraw them as real money but rather use them as a credit to continue playing in the casino.
- To withdraw the winnings, if possible you will likely be met with a set of wagering requirements that you will have to fulfill.
If slots are mostly what you gravitate to in online casinos, you will likely go for the casino that has the best offer of free spins, and that’s completely fine! Just make sure to check the terms and conditions before depositing any money, so you have an idea of what you are in for. Good luck!