Circumcision is one of the oldest and commonly performed surgical procedures for males. It is often performed for religious and therapeutic reasons. Being a daycare procedure, laser circumcision offers more success than more traditional circumcision procedures.
A laser circumcision provides faster and simpler healing and allows the patient to resume his routine within two to three days from the procedure day. You must be wondering if laser circumcision is painful or not? Please continue reading to learn more about the laser circumcision cost.
What is Laser Circumcision?
Circumcision is a procedure that involves the removal of the foreskin from the penis. Laser circumcision is a highly advanced procedure. Unlike the traditional methods, the surgeon uses a high-energy laser beam to remove the foreskin in laser methods for circumcision.
Does Laser Circumcision Hurt?
Just like any other surgery, laser circumcision may cause some pain, redness and discomfort. It is normal to experience redness or swelling after the procedure, which usually goes away within 1 to 2 days. If these symptoms persist and continue to exist, consult with your doctor.
After circumcision, you may experience minor discomfort, but it is generally manageable. The surgeon will advise you to avoid sexual activity until you have recovered completely, which usually takes 3-4 weeks. Avoid strenuous activities for 7-10 days following the surgery.
Most patients recover completely in 3-4 weeks with the help of medications both during the surgery and afterwards.
Laser Circumcision Procedure
Laser circumcision is a minimally invasive procedure that promotes faster healing. The circumcision procedure takes about five to ten minutes. Before the procedure, an anaesthetist provides pain management medication and a choice to go for either local or general anaesthesia.
In cases where the surgery is performed under local anaesthesia, the patient may be discharged on the same day. The doctor advises an observation time of 3 to 5 hours after the treatment. The patient is free to return home afterwards.
Benefits of Laser Circumcision
As per the World Health Organization (WHO), circumcision significantly reduces the risk of HIV transmission during sexual activity by up to 60%. Moreover, laser circumcision provides several other benefits, including:
- Quick and efficient
- Precise cuts
- No visible scar
- Minimal discomfort and bleeding
- Speedy recovery
- Long-term solution
- Use of dissolvable sutures
- Better hygiene
- Reduced contraction of infections or disorders caused by STIs
- Low risk of penile cancer in males and cervical cancer in female partners
- Less risk of urethral infections
- Reduced potential for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection
- Prevention of Balanitis (inflammation of the glans penis), Posthitis (inflammation of the prepuce), Phimosis (inability to retract the foreskin), and Paraphimosis (entrapment of the foreskin in the retracted position).
Side Effects of Laser Circumcision
Laser circumcision is a less invasive method with multiple benefits. Although complications are rare, they can occur if patients do not follow guidelines or if surgical complications arise.
Choosing a skilled surgeon dramatically reduces the risk of side effects or issues after laser circumcision. Some possible side effects and complications include:
- Pain: Patients may experience pain, discomfort, or swelling in the affected area. However, painkillers can be prescribed by healthcare providers for relief.
- Bleeding: While laser treatments minimise the risk of bleeding, there is still the risk of some bleeding before and after the procedure.
- Infections: Just like any other medical procedure, laser circumcision is associated with a low but possible risk of infections.
- Unusual Discharge: Blood and other abnormal discharges are common after the procedure.
- Decreased Sensitivity: In rare cases, patients may experience a lack of sensitivity due to foreskin removal.
- Narrowing of the Meatus: Meatal stenosis is an uncommon but possible complication that can cause urine-related problems.
- Tissue Damage: Even though laser circumcision is a safe procedure, tissue damage can occur due to excessive heat, improper use of equipment, and other factors.
Discussing these concerns with your doctor can help ensure a smooth and comfortable recovery is essential.
Laser Circumcision Cost
Laser circumcision surgery in India typically ranges from Rs. 28,000 to Rs. 60,000. The cost may vary based on several factors, including:
- The city and hospital where the treatment is sought
- Diagnostic tests, consultation and surgeon’s fees
- Type of surgery required
- Patient’s overall health condition
- The severity of the condition
- Postoperative care needs
- Choice of anaesthesia
- Insurance coverage, if applicable
Health insurance often covers laser circumcision cost as it is a symptomatic condition. It is recommended to consult with insurance providers to understand the policy’s terms and conditions.
Circumcisions can be considered for several reasons if you are considering it, talk to your doctor about your laser circumcision goals, and ensure that it should be cutting-edge, painless laser therapy.
HexaHealth is a leading and most reliable health and wellness dedicated platform committed to bringing you the best in this sector. As a team of professionals, we understand and acknowledge the many aspects of problems and solutions. To know more about laser circumcision and its cost, visit HexaHealth now!