Are you someone who wants to know the most lucrative path to practice dentistry? For starters, we will tell you that your specialisation in MDS matters the most in carving out your future. So choosing a specialisation can be tricky and a shot in the woods if you are unable to make that critical decision. The Divya Jyoti (DJ) College of Dental Sciences and Research, one of the dental colleges in Ghaziabad, offers numerous specializations.
Through this blog, you will understand the nuances of each specialisation and ways to choose your best fit. Let’s get started without further delay.
MDS is a PG-level course that can be done after completing BDS. This PG-level program is 3 years long. For the MDS degree program, Divya Jyoti College of Dental Sciences and Research. Divya Jyoti (DJ) College of Dental Sciences and Research affiliated with Atal Bihari Vajpayee Medical University (ABVMU), Lucknow is one of the best dental colleges in UP. Let us look at the curriculum, it offers-
|Course type||Post Graduation|
|Admission process||Merit-based counselling.|
|Infrastructure||300-bed hospital; hostel facility, Sports, Central Library|
Major Specialisation offered by dental colleges in Ghaziabad:
During your 3-year tenure, you shall be offered to choose from multiple specialisations. Few of the specialisation are highly competitive, so identifying your interests become crucial. Remember to have a better ranking in NEET-MDS, so that during counselling with dental colleges in Ghaziabad you get a field of your choice.
|Specialisation||No. of seats|
|Prosthodontics, Crown & Bridge||6|
|Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics||6|
|Periodontology and Implantology||6|
|Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery||3|
|Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics||6|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology & Microbiology||6|
|Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry||6|
|Oral Medicine & Radiology||3|
To secure admission to dental colleges in Ghaziabad, you would need to fulfil the following criteria-
- You have to be an Indian national or an NRI candidate.
- You should have passed B.D.S from an institute recognized by the Dental Council of India (DCI)
- You are expected to have completed a one-year compulsory rotatory internship from a DCI-recognized institution.
A detailed review of MDS specialisation-
This section would help you in identifying the major features of important specialisation offered by dental colleges in Ghaziabad-
Prosthodontics, Crown & Bridge
- It is a dental speciality focused on the renewal and replacement of missing or damaged teeth. You also deal with making prosthetics (artificial teeth) for restoration.
- Major subjects that you can expect to interact with are-
- Oral implantology
- Dental Anatomy
- Sleep Bruxism
- Maxillofacial prosthodontics
- Fixed and implant prosthodontics.
Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
- It is concerned with the conservation of teeth and the entire buccal cavity. It has various subspecialties of cariology, operative dentistry, cosmetic dentistry and endodontics.
- Major course highlights include-
- Micro Dentistry
- Laser dentistry
- Re-implantation / Transplantation
- Regenerative Endodontics / Re-vascularization
- Smile Designing – Veneers and Bleaching
Periodontology and Implantology
- The branch focuses on the health of the supporting structures of the teeth and the replacement of missing teeth with dental implants. You would indulge in the treatment of common conditions like gingivitis, gum Recession and periodontal abscess.
- Major subjects that you would interact with are-
- Laser in Periodontology.
- Evidence-Based Dentistry.
- Soft & hard tissue grafting procedure.
- Medical Emergency in Periodontal Therapy
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS)
- It is a specialized branch of MDS colleges in Delhi NCR, that deals with the diagnosis and surgical treatment of the head, face, jaw, and neck regions. OMS is a unique speciality that requires both dental and medical knowledge and training.
- Major subjects that you would deal with are-
- Tumour resection and reconstruction
- TMJ ankylosis
- Craniofacial trauma
- Cleft lip and palate
- Facial rejuvenation procedures
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics:
- deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental and jaw alignment issues, commonly known as malocclusions.
- Major areas of importance-
- Lingual orthodontics
- Fixed functional appliances. (Hybrid, Rigid)
- Aligners including INVISALIGN
- Surgical Orthodontics
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology & Microbiology
- It is a speciality of dentistry and pathology that deals with the nature, identification, and management of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial regions.
- The course curriculum is framed around-
- High-quality training in Diagnostic Oral Histopathology, Microbiology & Haematology
- Exposure to advanced Diagnostic & Research Techniques like Immunohistochemistry, Microbial Culture & Bioinformatics.
- Certificate course in “Tobacco Cessation” and posting in Tobacco Cessation Clinic
- Training in Oral Cancer Detection Centre.
- Training & posting in Advanced Oncology Centre
- Training & posting in General Pathology & Microbiology
Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry:
- Pedodontics, also known as Pediatric Dentistry, and Preventive Dentistry are two specialized fields within dentistry that focus on the dental care of children and adolescents comprehensively.
- During the course, you will be skilled to deal with-
- Preventive aspects such as topical fluoride application, pit and fissure sealants, diet counselling and oral prophylaxis
- Restorative treatments
- Endodontic treatment and other minor oral surgical procedures
Oral Medicine & Radiology
- focus on the diagnosis and management of oral and maxillofacial diseases using various diagnostic techniques, including radiographic imaging.
- At MDS colleges in UP, the department has an oral radiology section. You would get an opportunity to work with-
- Special Surgery Section for Biopsies and specialized treatment
- Dental Radiology Section with analogue and digital X-ray machines
- Maxillofacial Radiology section with conventional and digital panoramic X-ray machines
- Automatic X-ray film processors
Finding the best specialisation for you
As you embark on a journey of learning and self-discovery, you need to make a crucial decision of choosing the right specialization. To find your best fit, you need to consider the following parameters-
- Self-Assessment: As you have done your under-graduation, from the best BDS colleges in UP, you must know the intricacies of different dentistry fields. Reflect on the aspects of dentistry that genuinely excite you by identifying your interests, strengths and weaknesses. Understanding your passions will provide a solid foundation while you make your decision.
- Research and Exposure: You can attend conferences, seminars, and workshops to gain exposure to the different fields and observe specialists in action. Through this, you might develop invaluable insights into the daily responsibilities and challenges of each specialization.
- Mentorship: Seek guidance from experienced dentists, college professors, seniors, etc who can share their experiences in various specializations. Discuss your career goals and gain insights regarding potential growth opportunities and future prospects of dentistry.
- Lifestyle and Work-Life Balance: Evaluate how each specialization aligns with your personal life goals and commitments. Some fields may require long working hours, while others may offer more flexibility. Experienced dentists in different roles can help you in having the true picture of reality.
- Patient Interaction: Identify the level of patient interaction you desire to have in your career. Some specializations, like Pediatric Dentistry, can involve extensive interaction with children and families, while others, like Oral Pathology, focus more on diagnostic analysis and consultation.
- Market Demand and Future Trends: Reflect on future demand for various dental specializations in your region or dentistry as a whole. Some areas may have a higher demand due to demographic changes, advancements in technology, research possibilities, etc.
Career opportunities after MDS:
After graduating from dental colleges in Ghaziabad, you can be appointed for clinical practice.
- You can set up a private clinic or practice in a govt. Or private healthcare facilities.
- Consider joining central services like CAPF and the armed forces for job security.
|Consultant Dental Surgeon||6 to 20 LPA|
|Govt. services (Designation based)||4 to 15 LPA|
|Dental Hygienist||2 to 10 LPA|
|Academician lecturer/ professor||4 to 12 LPA|
|Clinical Research scientist||7.5 to 20 LPA|
- You can opt for a PhD. courses like Dental Sciences, which opens doors for you in research and academia.
- Academic and Teaching Roles:
- You can pursue a career as a lecturer/ professor at dental colleges or universities. You get to share your knowledge and mentor future dentists.
- Clinical research:
- MDS graduates can explore R&D roles in prominent research institutes like Indian Dental Research Foundation. Alternatively, MDS colleges in UP have a research centre with well-equipped laboratories.
Choosing the right dental specialization is a crucial choice that will shape your career as a dental professional. Each dental specialization offers unique challenges, opportunities, and rewards. The most important aspect of being a professional is job satisfaction, which often relies on interest and inner motivation. Consult your mentor, identify suitability within the job market, research prospects, etc.
Seek admission to MDS colleges in Delhi NCR, for suitable opportunities in multiple healthcare facilities.
1. What is the eligibility of MDS?
To enrol in an MDS program in India, you need-
- To be a citizen of India or an NRI.
- Valid score of NEET-MDS
- 50% or relevant score as per reservation criteria in BDS.
- Appear for all India or state counselling to secure admission
2. Which is the best field in MDS?
In terms of scope, the following fields are high in demand in MDS:
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Prosthodontics and Orthodontics
- Periodontics and Endodontic
3. What is the scope after MDS?
After completion of MDS, you can pursue clinical practice, do clinical research, opt for PhD in dental science or be a lecturer in dental colleges.
4. What is the salary of an MDS doctor in India?
The salary depends on numerous factors like your institute, experience as a dental surgeon, job role, etc. An MDS in India can earn from 4 LPA to even above 15 LPA. The average salary for MDS in India is 6.5 LPA.
5. What is the benefit of MDS after BDS?
Most medical facilities seek MDS graduates rather than BDS to practice as general physicians. It is easier to open your own clinic and you are trained in a particular specialisation. As an MDS, you are expected to get a higher salary and better designation.