Human eye is just like a camera that senses the light and forms a image on the retina. The image on the retina is inverted image and it is the brain that translates this inverted image as a non-inverted image and makes the perception of it. Our eye is enclosed in spherical eyeball structure. A human eye is composed of many parts together which help in perceiving things. It helps to see things and to differentiate various colors. These parts when effected with any defects can cause vision related issues. This article describes the eye parts and the vision related issues.
Our eye is enclosed in eyeball. The eyeball is covered with a white membrane known as sclera. This is the protective membrane which is formed with connective tissues. Eyeball is bulged out at the front end and has a transparent membrane known as Cornea. It is the cornea that helps in the refraction of the light with the help of the eye lens.
Just behind the cornea is a disc shaped structure known as iris that is used to control the diameter of the pupil. Pupil is the small opening in the iris through which the light enters inside the eye. The light entering the pupil falls on a crystalline lens that refracts the light and makes focus on the retina.
The lens is supported with a watery fluid at the front known as aqueous humour and behind with vitreous humour. The light from the lens falls on to a film like inner structure of the eye known as the retina. The retina contains neural cells and optic nerves that convert the image to electrical impulses that are transferred to brain. Brain uses these impulses to perceive image.
Thus, together with all these parts the eye helps in vision and detecting colors.
Vision related problems:
Our eye can face numerous health problems which can result in defect of vision, color blindess and even blindness. Some of the common eye vision related problems are the refractive erros wherein the eye is unable to bend the light properly into the retina causing vision distortion. For example, having blurry vision, etc. These refractive errors are mainly due to the misshaped cornea. The refractive error causing eye vision problems are as follows:
- Near sightedness also known as myopia is a vision problem when the person is unable to see far objects with clear vision. The person is but able to see nearby objects clearly. This happens when the eyeball elongates.
- Farsightedness also known as the hypermetropia is the condition when the person is able to see far objects clearly but is unable to see nearby objects with proper vision. This occurs when the eyeball shortens.
- Astigmatism also known as blurry vision is when the person vision gets blurred due to the cornea flattening unevenly.
Since the eye ball size is changing the image is formed either behind the retina or in front of the retina. Thus, to correct these type of vision issues, the light must bend with proper angle and the image should be formed on the retina. This is done with the help of corrective glasses or lenses. These glasses or lenses bend the light in proper angle such that the image is formed on the retina thereby making vision proper.
Eye checkup: how often?
To ensure that you have proper vision and no eye related health issues it is necessary to get regular check-up. The health recommendations for each age group are as follows:
- Children’s: It is necessary that children’s eyes should be reviewed and checked by the ophthalmologist regularly once in a year at least. It is recommended that for children of age 3 to 5 it is necessary to get eye check-up at least.
- Diabetic persons should get their eye examination every year to ensure that they have no side effects of diabetes on eye vision.
- People above 40 years with no health risks of diabetes can get eye check-up once in 2 years.
- People who have family history of glaucoma should get check-up at least once a year.
But there are certain symptoms that indicate there might be some eye vision problems. In such cases doctor consultation is necessary. Consult doctor when you experience any of the following symptoms;
- Feeling of decreased eye sight
- Continuous redness in eye and dryness
- Pain in the eye
- Seeing floaters in front of eyes
- Having double vision issues
- Seeing flashes of lights or halos
Treatment for eye vision defects LASIK eye surgery:
Generally, the most common method of correcting eye vision problems is the usage of glasses or contact lenses. But it becomes difficult for many to wear the glasses continuously and thus aim to get rid of them. In such case another option which is now widely preferred is LASIK surgery. This LASIK surgery makes use of laser technology for corrective refractive error and thus can treat issues like astigmatism, far and near sightedness.
LASIK is the name that stands for laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis, which signifies a medical procedure that reshapes the cornea thereby correcting refractive errors. The ophthalmologist uses laser technology for performing LASIK eye surgery. The surgery is of a 30 minutes session.
It is considered to be a highly effective and successful surgery. Nearly 90% of the people who have undergone this LASIK eye surgery have reported to have good vision of around 20/20 and 20/40 without the contact lenses or glasses.
Side effects of LASIK surgery:
Generally, LASIK eye surgery is highly effective and successful. The common side effects that can last for a month after the surgery are as follows:
- Dryness in eyes
- Having foggy vision
- Having sensitivity to light
But consult doctor immediately if you notice any of the symptoms
- Infection in the eye area
- Red patches of blood in eye
- Having vision that is even weak than before then surgery
- In extreme cases blindness or no vision
Healthy vision is vital for our day-to-day activities. Eye vision problem are normally due to refractive errors and the best treatment mode is the usage of glasses or contact lenses. But LASIK eye surgery an effective and successful mode of treatment offers a great option for those who want to get rid of the glasses or contact lenses. The surgery is associated with minimal risks. It is therefore necessary to get properly informed about the LASIK eye surgery and ensure that the surgery is the best option for your eye vision problem treatment.